Chicago State men's basketball head coach Lance Irvin, a two-time cancer survivor, plans to opt out of the 2020-21 season over concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic.
Irvin told Stadium on Tuesday he is still waiting on a response from school administrators after making the decision last week.
The Cougars open the season Wednesday afternoon against Ohio in Champaign, Ill. As of Wednesday at noon ET, nothing had been posted on the basketball team's website or Twitter page regarding Irvin's status.
"I'm not comfortable coaching this season because my doctor suggested that it wasn't the right thing to do for my health," Irvin said. "She said it's not worth the risk based on the current COVID pandemic."
Irvin compiled a 7-54 record during his first two seasons at Chicago State, including a combined 0-30 mark in the Western Athletic Conference.
He was initially diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in 2010 and underwent a bone marrow transplant in 2012 after the cancer returned.
Irvin's physician, Dr. Wendy Stock, sent a letter to athletic director Elliott Charles on Nov. 19, per the report.
"While I am thrilled to report that the leukemia remains in remission, patients who have undergone a bone marrow transplant as Lance, remain immunocompromised for more than a decade following the transplant," Stock wrote. "Given this high risk state and the rampant prevalence of COVID-19 in the country, I feel that Lance should not be involved in the current basketball season."
The school provided a statement to Stadium.
"While we cannot comment on the specifics of this situation as it is a personnel matter, we would like to emphasize that we are an institution that is committed to supporting the well being of each and every employee," the statement read.
--Field Level Media