NEW DELHI, India: An Indian Army spokesman has said Indian and Chinese army commanders met on Sunday to discuss how to disengage troops from key areas of tension along their disputed border, following a deadly 17-month standoff.
According to Col. Sudhir Chamoli, the commanders met after a two-month gap at Moldo on the Chinese side in Ladakh.
"The Indian side has unreasonable and unrealistic demands, adding difficulties to the negotiations," stated a written statement from a Chinese military spokesperson on Monday.
Both countries have withdrawn troops since February from the northern and southern banks of Pangong Tso, Gogra and Galwan Valley, but they are still stationing extra troops in these areas, as well as in Demchok and Depsang Plains, reported the Indian media.
Both sides are also continuing to deploy troops in Ladakh for a second consecutive winter in freezing temperatures.
The talks came after Indian army chief Gen. M.M. Naravane expressed frustration at China's supposed massive deployment of troops and weaponry.
"Yes, it is a matter of concern that the large-scale buildup has occurred and continues to be in place," he said on Saturday, as reported by ABC News.
"We are keeping a close watch on all these developments, but if they are there to stay, we are there to stay, too," he stated.
In response, Senior Col. Long Shaohua of the Western Theater Command, said "China's determination to safeguard its sovereignty is unwavering, and it hopes India will not misjudge the situation."
Both countries have stationed tens of thousands of soldiers, supported by artillery, tanks and fighter jets, along the de facto border called the "Line of Actual Control." Last year, 20 Indian troops were killed in a clash with Chinese soldiers, while China said it lost four soldiers.
The Line of Actual Control separates Chinese and Indian territories from Ladakh in the west to India's eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, which China claims. In 1962, the two countries fought a deadly war over the border.